A Clean Source of Electrical Power in Transportation
Fuel cells use hydrogen to produce electricity without any combustion. Through this innovative chemical process, a vehicle could operate at the same efficiency as modern cars while only emitting water vapor. The need for cost-effective, sustainable solutions is essential across all transportation applications.
Nafion™ membranes are at the heart of a new generation of fuel cells offering a clean energy source to power anything that moves. Using Nafion™ membrane in fuel cells for power generation benefits vehicles ranging from automobiles, buses, forklifts, boats, planes, and spacecraft due to:
- High efficiency: Fuel cells convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy without combustion.
- Low emissions: Emissions from fuel cells are negligible, consisting mostly of water.
- Quiet operations: A fuel cell has no moving parts, so noises are limited to what is produced by the pumps and fans of the fuel cell's auxiliary equipment.
- Minimal intervention: Fuel cells are simple to operate and maintain because there are no moving parts, reducing operational costs and maintenance.
Transforming Transportation with Fuel Cells Using Nafion™ Membranes
Sustainability is a major benefit of using fuel cells in transportation, especially as global, national, and regional regulations mandate reductions in CO₂ and other atmosphere-damaging emissions.
This is because fuel cells produce clean electricity regardless of the input. If cells are used to produce energy by combining hydrogen and oxygen, the output is water. If a fossil fuel like natural gas is used, the process generates significantly lower CO₂ emissions than it would in a power plant.
Nafion™ Membranes Let the Future In
Nafion™ membranes and dispersions have remained at the epicenter of solutions for the most demanding transportation applications because they are backed by years of real-world experience.
These products were critical components in fuel cells that powered essential systems in NASA’s Gemini spacecraft. Today, Nafion™ membranes and dispersions are used in fuel cells that make electric vehicles possible.
The Best Way to Predict the Future: Create It
Engineers selecting Nafion™ membranes and dispersions will benefit because they have partnered with experts in:
- Ionomer/polymer chemistry: The Chemours Company continues to deliver state-of-the-art chemistries that lie at the heart of modern fuel cells.
- Stable electrochemistry: Products built with Nafion™ membranes and dispersions benefit from the expertise and innovation in electrode chemistry that prevents degradation.
- Production scalability: With industrialized processes in place, Chemours meets global demands for large volumes of Nafion™ membranes and dispersions.